Recent: News Posts
HOW TO LIVE YOUR STRONGEST LIFE TO INCREASE YOUR JOY & SUCCESS
HOLLYWOOD ADVENTIST CHURCH WORKSHOP // AUGUST 2, 2014, 2–5 PM
// Dr. Greg Nelson
// Speaker, Author, Strengths Coach, Pastor
WHAT IS STRENGTHS COACHING & WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?
In Gallup’s research into human potential over the past 30 years—including interviews with more than 8 million people—the evidence is overwhelming: You will be eight times more successful & fulfilled in whatever you do by building your life around your greatest natural abilities (strengths) rather than your weaknesses. Your strengths should be your primary focus.
The problem is that most people don’t even know what their greatest strengths are, much less how to use them so they can be more fulfilled and effective in their lives.
According to Gallup’s latest study, over half of churchgoers say they don’t get to do what they do best in their congregations.
Fortunately, Gallup’s research led it to developing one of the most effective tools for discovering and utilizing a person’s top strengths: StrengthsFinder. When used in a congregation, this discovery has the potential to unlock a congregation’s most powerful resource: people and their God-given strengths.
- Unpacking God’s amazing gift to you: your individual strengths themes. What are your Top 5 strengths, what do they represent in your life, how are you already using them, how can you use them more for effectiveness and fulfillment?
- How does knowing and using your strengths apply to your relationships, spiritual life, work, and teams you be- long to?
- What difference does this all make?
- Identifying your congregation’s God- given strengths profile. Knowing the church’s strengths impacts mission: how does your church give and serve in the strongest way possible? What does a strength-based congregation look like? How can it be developed?
HOW YOU CAN GET READY FOR THE WORKSHOP
For you to get the most out of this experience, you need to take an online assessment called “StrengthsFinder” which, through a series of detailed questions, identifies your top five strength themes. Dr. Nelson will unpack your results in the workshop.
- Take the test directly online for $9.99 (Gallup’s fee). Here’s the link: tinyurl.com/hollywoodstrengths.
- If you would like some financial help for this, contact the church office.
- E-mail your strengths results to Greg (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than MONDAY, JULY 28 so he can compile a Strengths profile of the whole group.
- Even if you can’t attend the workshop, we’d love for you to take the assessment so you can be included in the group profile. Just knowing your top 5 strengths is a great value to you.
On June 7, we hosted a panel discussion on Dr. Ron Osborn’s book Death Before the Fall: Biblical Literalism and the Problem of Animal Suffering. This discussion touched on some of the following themes:
- 1. Can one be a Christian and an evolutionist? Is theistic evolution an oxymoron?
- 2. Can one reconcile evolution with a faithful reading of the Genesis account of creation?
- 3. How does a theistic evolutionist explain animal cruelty and predation before (the fall of) Adam and Eve?
Our panelists were:
ZANE YI, PhD, Asst. Prof. of Religion, Loma Linda University — MODERATOR
JEFFERY GANG, DMin, Senior Pastor of the Anaheim SDA Church, PhD candidate at University of Aberdeen in Theological Ethics
MAURY JACKSON, DMin, Asst. Prof. of Pastoral Ministry, La Sierra University
JODY WASHBURN, PhD Student at UCLA in Ancient Near Eastern Languages and Cultures
Watch the introductory sermon and discussion here.
You can buy the book here: http://deathbeforethefall.com
At Hollywood Adventist Church, “Where God’s Spirit is given space to change lives,” we are committed to the ongoing work of making that space fully inclusive.
God’s love is broader and deeper than we can fathom. Fellowship and membership in His church should, likewise, be open and generous. The redemptive power of Christ’s love extends to everyone regardless of age, race, class or sexual identity. All are welcome in our church.
We embrace the challenge of being a diverse community, which encourages dialogue and welcomes questions, as we continue to identify the ways God is at work in all of our lives. We believe this will ultimately enrich us and be a witness for and a foretaste of the kingdom God intends to establish in the earth made new.
Rockne Dahl speaks on the transfiguration of Christ in Matthew 17:1–9. March 1, 2014, Transfiguration Sabbath (Year A).
QUESTION OF THE WEEK – We all have questions about God and religion. Yet as each of us grows in our spiritual journey, we see things from different perspectives. As a way to encourage dialogue, we’re going to post a new question each week from members of our congregation. Perhaps you’ll see something that you’ve been wondering as well; perhaps you’ve struggled with one of these questions and found some answers that seem to make sense. This is not a forum for providing pat answers or critical discussion, but rather a chance for us to share insights and suggestions of things we might have found helpful in our own wrestlings with these questions.
Do you have a question that you’d like to submit for discussion? Email it to us at email@example.com with the subject line “Question of the Week.”
Question of the Week, February 8-15
What is my plan? What is God’s plan for my life? Does my plan matter if I’ve surrendered “all” to God?
Question of the Week, February 16-22
What does God look like? What did Jesus look like?
Our next live event:
We are excited to offer streaming video of our Sabbath morning worship service.
If you can’t make it to our church community in person on Saturday mornings, now you can join us in digital spirit on YouTube. Services are streamed online at 11 a.m. (PST) every Saturday.
In addition to the live stream of our service you can check out our archive of past services on our YouTube channel and share Hollywood’s worship with your family and friends around the world!